How EAP Can Help...
Compulsive gambling can be as devastating as alcohol and drug addiction and can have serious financial, emotional, and social consequences for gamblers, their families, employers, and others. The NYS Employee Assistance Program is available to help. If you think you or someone you know may have a problem with gambling, please call your local EAP Coordinator who will confidentially assist you in getting help.
WHAT IS PROBLEM GAMBLING?
Problem gambling is gambling behavior that negatively impacts a person's personal life, relationships, or vocational pursuits.
- Increasing preoccupation with thoughts about gambling
- Needing to bet more money more frequently
- Using gambling as an escape from worry, boredom, or problems
- Feeling restless or irritable when attempting to stop
- Betting more to make up for losses
- Lying to conceal gambling activity
- Committing, or considering committing, an illegal act to finance bets
- Jeopardizing significant relationships with family and friends
- Continuing to gamble in spite of increasing, serious, negative consequences
This gambling screening tool from Gamblers Anonymous can aid in determining if gambling is an issue that needs additional assessment. "Twenty Questions": http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/20questions.html
How NYS-Balance Can Help…
This confidential resource and referral service is designed to save executive branch employees time and help them better balance work and life. State employees and their families can email or call a NYS-Balance consultant for help with a wide variety of issues including budgeting, home repair, finding child care or a summer camp, health and wellness, elder care issues, retirement planning, college preparation, parenting strategies, and more. In addition, the NYS-Balance website provides an abundance of useful resources, articles, links, and interactive tools. NYS-Balance consultants are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at no cost to employees or their families. Visit the comprehensive website at: www.nysbalance.ny.gov or call to speak with a consultant at: 1-866-320-4760. If you need the username and password for the NYS–Balance website, please email us at email@example.com or contact your EAP coordinator or human resources office.