Retirement Planning Tips for New York State Employees
Tip of the Month
February 2016 - What documents will I need to apply for Social Security?
The Social Security office may need to see certain documents in order to pay benefits and help Social Security decide how much your benefits should be. The documents you'll need will depend on the circumstances of your claim. The documents they may ask for are:
- your Social Security card (or a record of your number)
- your original birth certificate or other proof of birth
- proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the U.S.
- a copy of your U.S. military service paper(s) (e.g., DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
- a copy of your W-2 form(s) and/or self-employment tax return for last year
For more information on your Social Security benefits go to: www.socialsecurity.gov or call (800) 772-1213.